Thursday, July 7, 2011

Getting excited!

I finally made it to Sri Lanka and there is SO much I am looking forward to!  I can't wait to visit the Hantane Tea Museum, operated by the Sri Lanka Tea Board. Seeing the old machinery used for processing tea will give me a glimpse of the rich history of tea in Sri Lanka. Visiting the New Vithanakande Tea Factory will also be a treat; I’ve recently had the chance to sample some of their black teas, and I was very impressed!

Another thing I’m really excited to see is the tea auction process in Kenya. My business experience with tea has been largely limited to marketing – so it will be very interesting to observe the large-quantity tea sourcing process first hand. Similarly, visiting Unilever Kenya will be fascinating. I don’t think I’ve ever seen more than 50 pounds of tea in my life; checking out this massive tea manufacture process will be a definite eye-opener.

Wrapping up my trip in New York City will be the perfect way to end. It's going to be great interning with Tracy Stern at SALONTEA; I know there's a lot I can learn from her! I'll probably spend my weekends seeing the normal NYC sights - my mother is from the city and can't stop recommending places I should explore!

On that note, do you have any recommendations for when I am in New York?

2 comments:

  1. Visit the new Harney & Sons shop in SoHo!!! Among other tea places in NYC. Best wishes for your journey, and we look forward to your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be sure to visit the Harney & Sons shop! Thanks for the recommendation and well wishes!

    ReplyDelete